[OM] Technical exposure question

Subject: [OM] Technical exposure question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:21:46 -0400
I just saw a very nice pano shot at sunset and including the sun.
<http://www.pbase.com/garage_logician/image/62717458>
The photographer's advice on creating such panos was to shoot in
aperture priority mode "to hold the DOF constant".  I can't argue with
holding the aperture constant but DOF I don't think would ever enter
serious consideration for the photo in question.

I would never have considered shooting the same pano in anything other
than manual mode and holding the exposure constant across all the
frames.  But I can't argue with his results, especially never having
shot a pano including a sunset.

Why does his technique work for him or is it an illusion?  Is the
exposure really not changing very much and the stitcher (PTGui) able to
accommodate the slight variation?  Or is it really necessary to vary the
exposure becuase the light is changing so fast with the sun setting on
the horizon?

Experienced sunset pano guys (and gals) please respond.

Chuck Norcutt