[OM] Re: Technical exposure question

Subject: [OM] Re: Technical exposure question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:05:34 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Does nobody know the answer to this question?  Must be that just the gals
> know the answer and since they're not here...

You specified "Experienced sunset pano guys (and gals) please respond."
That sort of limits the likely responses.

The standard advice from experts is to shoot in manual with fixed
exposure for each shot. I generally agree with your speculation that
this fellow is confused about the DOF issue, but that using auto
exposure with a fixed aperture compensates for the quite rapid
brightness changes during a sun rise/set. Probably more difficult to
match color and exposure across segments that most panos, but perhaps
easier that with fixed exposure, for this particular subject.

Being a tele sort of guy, I find shots like this of only moderate
interest. When I shoot a series of sunset shots at different focal
lengths, I more commonly like the longer fl shots. So I'm never likely
to be the sort of expert you asked for.

Moose