[OM] Re: Jpeg editing - or was it - do they still use cameras?

Subject: [OM] Re: Jpeg editing - or was it - do they still use cameras?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:41:28 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> Brian
>
> The "loss" we keep discussing is one that arises from the compression
> that takes place when saving the file.  If, while editing a file, you
> keep saving it, you are not causing incremental damage to the file as
> you don't keep closing the file and re-opening it.  The damage you
> cause the file while editing is purely from the editing and will take
> place whatever the final format.
>
> I suppose you might say that the file does not have a format, per se,
> while it is sitting in memory on your computer.  It takes on a format
> (one which you choose) on the storage medium you are using when you
> save it, whether for the first time or umpteenth time.

More nicely said that what I just posted to say the same thing, but I
hadn't seen this yet. And we both used "per se", is that cool - or
creepy? :-)
> Some programmes don't touch the original file but operate on a copy
> (perhaps called "filename-edit") while you conduct editing
> operations.
Some go further, saving only a record of what you did, which may be
reapplied whenever needed again. RawShooter and Lightroom are a couple
of examples. A big storage saver, the original is safely untouched and
the edited version is just a tiny file of coded instructions.

Moose