[OM] Re: took too many pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: took too many pictures
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:55:07 -0700 (PDT)
> The shutter life of even the recently announced
> 30D and 5D (and improved over previous models) is 100,000
> cycles.

I'm wondering if these ratings are "expected life" or "MTBF".
There's a huge difference.  MTBF would be something like one in
every 100,000 cameras will experience a shutter failure in the
next actuation. This explains why you have some that fail on the
third picture and others that never fail.

We've got a printer here at work (Epson DFX-5000--among the
first dozen made) that has printed over a calculated 3,250,000
pages. The average page has an estimated 500 characters.
(1,625,000,000 total characters). According to the manual it has
a MTBF of 8000 power-on hours. It has been on for well over
150,000. Acording to the manual, it has a MCBF of 13,500,000
lines. The printer has done at least double that. The print head
life is 200 million characters.  We blew that away with around
1,625,000,000. It chugs away, flawlessly, every day and in the
six years I've been here the biggest repair ever made to it is
the occasional replacement of ribbons and clearing paper-jams.
(talk about the paper jams, though!). Oh, there was one doozy of
a ribbon jam that I thought for sure was going to trash the
entire printer.  No employee remembers this printer EVER getting
service.  If you dug into the paper dust deep enough you'll
probably find Jimmy Hoffa buried in there.

Even my lowly OM-2S (regarded as the least-reliable OM-x body
made) has over 100,000 pictures on it.  At the rate things are
going, it will outlast film.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com