[OM] OT-Alternate Universe? MS support

Subject: [OM] OT-Alternate Universe? MS support
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:51:45 -0700
OK, I thought it was a fluke when I had trouble with the Win RAW file
thumbnail and viewer add-on and got prompt, through support which took a
lot of effort on their part. After all, this isn't part of Windows and
the download page for it specifically denies any guarantee of support.
So maybe it's some sort of skunkworks project with crazy fanatics in
support.

But today I had a problem with XP proper. I have the update function set
to automatically download updates to XP Pro and notify me, so I can
choose whether to install them or not. A security update showed up, I
installed it, a few minutes later it popped up again. Suffice it to say,
after several iterations, it got a bit irritating.

So I clicked on the link on the install window and called the free
support line for security issues. The tech was clearly from the Indian
Subcontinent, but spoke good English and walked me through  fixing the
problem so that now I know how to do it myself, if it pops up again.
Then he said his supervisor would like to talk to me, was that ok. The
super said they would like to walk me through some cleanup of my disk,
which would take a few minutes, was that ok. So I aid yes again and was
sent back to the tech, who walked me through cleaning out files in
places I didn't know were safe to delete. He also answered another
question I've always wondered about re some files in the Windows directory.

Then he put me back with the super, who wanted to be assured that they
had taken care of all my issues and said he would send me an e-mail so I
could get back in touch if I had any further problems. Both fellows were
very polite and through.

So my question is, HUH? Is this a whole new world now? Or did I somehow
slip through a wormhole to the paid support line?

Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Moose