[OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:34:04 -0400
Rob, this may run counter to what you'll hear from others, but I give
this advice to pretty much anyone asking this question.  Wait as long
as you can.  If you don't have a present, pressing need, procrastinate
because the market is evolving relatively quickly, with each new
generation of gear bringing incremental improvements.  Some of greater
benefit than others but I can't think of a single dSLR line that has
gotten worse.

If you need a comparison, think of PCs.  Digcams are essentially
computers with a lens stuck on the front of them anyway so its
appropriate.  Whenever you buy in, you can be assured that something
better will arrive on the market soon after and it will cost the same
as you paid or less.

Of course you may be able to justify a dSLR purchase just to offset
film, processing and scanning costs.  BTW, I'd definitely go with
Walt's deal over the one offered by your other friend.  He has to find
some way to offset the $$ spent on that SSR.  ;o)

Given that you're an architect and architecture is one of your main
subjects, a 5D with a 24mm T/S lens (though it's not AF) could be very
useful, especially if you get good at stitching.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1