[OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Slipping Closer (long)
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:00:44 -0500
>But does it make any sense at all to invest in an E-1 at this point? I'm
>really liking
> the look of the Panas*nic L1, which seems to be basically an E-330 with a
> Le*ca lens.
Rob, Rob,

Remember what happened when I mentioned the Panasonic?? Don't look for much
sympathy here!

Seriously, I don't see the Panasonic as the ultimate, in fact I am hoping
for an E3 from Photokiina this fall. What I can say is that I've held an
E300, and it felt as ergonomic as a brick. The live preview interests me not
at all, and although I could see a use for the GI Joe screen (you can put it
in any crazy pose you want!), it's  not essential. The Panasonic seems to
offer a system more suited for photographers of a certain age, with its film
camera controls.

Whatever I do digitally, I know it will be with some sort of satbilization,
and I think you're nuts to get a medium telephoto and up without it. Not
essential for the Leica kit lens (strange to see those words together), but
an advantage.

Here's the possibilities as I see it. One, get the Panasonic outfit. B, get
the Leica lens with some sort of Oly body. Of the current crop, the E500
would do well. Three, get the new Ex with in-body stabilization and Oly
lenses. Four, give the Sony-Minoltas some time to work things out. Five,
just say screw it and get the 10 mp sony and live with the VF.

Bill Pearce