[OM] Re: Ghost from the past...

Subject: [OM] Re: Ghost from the past...
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:45:35 -0700
On 18 Jul 2006 at 23:08, Moose <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Welcome back!

Thanks!

> All the E-thingies are slower at start-up than the others, but the good
> news is that the cause is the dust removal system that activates when
> they are turned on. dust on the sensor is one of the problems with DSLRs
> and Oly has by far the best solution, with an ultrasonic vibrator that
> knocks most dust off to fall on a little strip of sticky stuff. Not a
> perfect solution, but better than any one else has come up with. From
> off to a shot is about 2 sec., but from sleep to shot is just under a
> second.

That explains it, thanks!

> They can only be used in the Manual and Aperture Preferred modes and
> require manual stop-down .

I assume this means manual stop down for both exposure & metering, since there
is no
mechanical aperture coupling? I can see that being a bit of a hassle at times...

> The ability to use OM lenses with an adapter is one reason most on the
> list who have DLSRs have either Oly of Can*n bodies. You can't use OM
> lenses on the Nik*ns.
> > -is my OM gear still worth anything on the market, or should I keep it for
> > nostalgia?
> >
> It's all still worth something. Some things are down in value, a few are
> up. Some really clean gear, esp. exotice items and items in LN condition
> with boxes, etc. has held or increased in value. Run of the mill used
> gear is mostly down, but not out. One of your lenses is probably worth
> more than you would guess.
>
> When the full frame Can*ns came out, landscape shooters and various
> equipment obsessives discovered that the Can*n WA lenses aren't all that
> great. So they went on searches for alternatives and Zuiko and Zeiss
> wide and super wides turned out to be the stand-out performers. There
> was a big spurt in sales prices of the 18 & 21 mm Zuikos and the 28/2,
> with some play in other WAs. It's settled down some now, but a decent
> 21/3.5 is still generally over $500.

Wow... that's nice to know, but it's one Zuiko I'm likely to keep for a long
time, along with the
85/2. So there is an OM adapter for Canon DSLRs also?

Shawn Wright
http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels
'88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed
'85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA