[OM] Re: Ghost from the past... New: OM with adapter (and chip?)

Subject: [OM] Re: Ghost from the past... New: OM with adapter (and chip?)
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:47:21 +0100
On 7/19/06, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now for stopping-down lenses.
>
> OM's have an automatic diaphragm as do pretty much all cameras of that
> era or later.  On an OM when you set the aperture on the lens to, say,
> f/8 the lens doesn't actually stop down.  It stays wide open so you can
> see to focus better.  It doesn't' actually stop-down to your setting
> until you press the shutter release.
>
> But the stop-down mechanism is mechanical and part of the camera.
> Putting the lens on another brand of camera leaves no means for the lens
> to be stopped down.  When adapting the lens to another camera the
> adapter needs a pin that engages the stop-down lever on the OM lens.
> When you attach the lens to the adapter that pin will engage.  Now when
> you change the aperture the lens will close down or open up immediately.
> Also, when you meter the exposure the metering will take place at the
> shooting aperture.  Normally it would take place wide open and the
> camera would adjust the reading for the expected actual shooting
> aperture.  Since the new body has no connection with the aperture of the
> lens it can't know how it's set.  But metering at the shooting aperture
> is OK.  It's just that the viewfinder is darker.  If you focus wide open
> to get a brighter image you need to remember to stop the lens down to
> the shooting aperture before taking the shot if you haven't already done
> that to get a meter reading.  It's a habit that must be acquired.  I
> always forget.

That's really analytic! Thanks Chuck.
At some point I might try this 'hybridisation' and show here the results,
I'm quite curious indeed. Although I must say that the ergonomic advantages
of the OM-System cameras (light, small and bright viewfinder) are almost
irreplacable for my particular needs.

Christos