[OM] Re: Ghost from the past...

Subject: [OM] Re: Ghost from the past...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:02:22 -0400
Thanks, I hadn't thought of the colorcast characteristics.  It could
affect a batch conversion from raw where images were mixed from two or
more lenses.  I'd have to use the Whi-Bal twice which is a thing I
always forget (like Moose) to use even once.  :-)

As to the ergonomics, yes, that might be a biggie.  I really like the
Tokina manual/auto focus collar where you just slide it back and forth
about 8mm to switch.  The 80-200, however, has an older design of that
collar which requires the focusing collar to be either at nearest focus
or at infinity in order to engage manual focus.  The latest design of
the 28-80 can engage anywhere in the focusing ring's travel.  I had
thought the 80-200 was discontinued in order to make way for a newer
model with the new focus ring design and maybe other refinements like
closer focus to compete with the newest model Sigma.  However, the Canon
stocks have run out.  I thought the Nikon version might still be made
since B&H still lists it but Tokina's web site doesn't show either
version any more.  If a new version doesn't show up soon I'll have to
search out a used one.  KEH has one in stock but the price is only $100
less than when new.  They go pretty fast when they show up on the bay.

Chuck Norcutt