[OM] Re: Ghost from the past...

Subject: [OM] Re: Ghost from the past...
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:11:30 -0700
Thanks, Winsor. I will check out these reviews as well. I'm in no hurry - just
beginning the learning process after several years away from the game. And
thanks to everyone for the welcome backs!
I'm heading off on a 3 week vacation in a few days, but I will try to read up
some more, and defintely break out my OM gear for its annual workout... :-)

On 18 Jul 2006 at 23:08, Winsor Crosby <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Welcome back. Nice to hear from you. I think I was still a new guy
> when you left.
>
> People have done different things in the move to digital. Some waited
> until Oly went digital and then they did too, some happily using
> their old lenses with an adaptor. Some went Canon lured by less
> digital noise, more pixels and also to use their OM lenses with
> adaptors. A few went Nikon lured by the ergonomics and hang the
> little bit more noise, but I am one of these few to have stuck around.
>
> A couple of other differences you might consider. The E-500 has a
> couple more megapixels than the D50, but is a little noisier than the
> D50 which has just about the least amount of digital noise of any
> camera. The D50 is also a little smaller.
>
> Check out the timings pages in the dpreview reviews as well. Off to
> shot taken is 1.7 sec for the Oly and less than .1 second for the
> D50. It looks like the frame rates are similar.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page10.asp
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page11.asp
>
> Some people hung onto their OM stuff. I sold the special bits that
> would fetch some money and kept the OM bits that were sort of
> worthless from the money standpoint. But I have not used any of them
> in a couple of years.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA
>

> On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:36 PM, Shawn Wright wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > Just dropping on the list after several years absent, and glad to
> > see quite a few old
> > names still around, and the list still has a good home! :-)
> > (you old timers might remember me... ;-)
> >
> > An annual pro photo camp going on at my school this week got me
> > thinking about a
> > new camera, and I actually played with a D50 (egads!) for a few
> > minutes. We have
> > several Nikon bodies (D1, D2, D70) at work, but I've never paid
> > much attention to them
> > to be honest. I still use an old C2500L when I need a camera at
> > work and it does
> > amazingly well for its age. One of my co-workers asked me to look
> > into a new camera
> > for her (she uses a C-2020Z or similar), and asked about the E-500.
> > So I started
> > looking into it, and it sounds like a decent deal for her, and
> > possibly for me also.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Shawn Wright