[OM] Re: New version of VueScan

Subject: [OM] Re: New version of VueScan
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
> Well, not really. I just downloaded the latest and the
> changes are minor. No change, really for the experienced
> user. Just as well, I really don't need to learn more new
> interfaces.

Very true. The icons added are really just there for
entertainment sake. You can choose to ignore them if you want.

As to speed increase?  Yes. Batch scanning is noticably faster.
The weakest link remains the scanner--you can't go faster than
the scanner can scan. The controlling software is irrelevent
there. Also, the USB interface can only chug the data through so
fast.  Still, it's not too shabby.

A couple evolutionary things of note with the newer versions of
Vuescan:  The histogram is really different--not quite as
intuitive to use as it once was. The other thing is more
exposure adjustments. You have pretty extensive curves
adjustment--but it's very difficult to figure out.

When it comes to extracting every last ounce out of a slide or
negative, I'll use Vuescan over Nikonscan. But for the majority
of my "rip and burn" stock stuff, Nikonscan is faster and pretty
much eliminates any further editing--including dust-spotting.
If I want to get every tidbit of highlight or shadow detail,
I'll use Vuescan and do a multipass.  Nikonscan gives me better
colors initially, but if I'm going to do extensive editing in
48-bit mode, I'll use Vuescan.

Oh, and Vuescan does support camera RAW files. There is an issue
with E-1 raw files with yellows at 100% saturation (pattern
noise), but the gray-scale conversion pulls details not found
with other converters. A couple of times, I've done a conversion
with Vuescan to get the luminance values and layered it with the
color values from Viewer.  Don't use RSE for this style of
layering because it will convert the guard pixels around the
edge and it won't match up.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com