[OM] Re: Before responding to Larry

Subject: [OM] Re: Before responding to Larry
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:49:07 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:
> Le vendredi 21 Juillet 2006 21:08, keith_w a écrit :
>> Jeff Keller wrote:
>>> Adobe employees pay a price that must be higher than production costs but
>>> get a very good discount. The internet can provide friends that you've
>>> never met. Going back to school for a quarter can provide an alternative
>>> approved discount on lots of things.
>>>
>>> Most choices are not forced by necessity. Often people choose to be
>>> pirates because they want to be seen as setting an example for less
>>> enlightened people.
>> Why call them a cutesy name like "pirates?" Call them thieves. That's what
>> a so-called pirate is. They take things that don't belong to them, offer no
>> remuneration for their cache, and then brag about the fact that they are
>> low life thieves.
>
> No. That's not technicaly correct. Thieves take away a possession. You can't
> use it anymore once it's been stolen. Unlawful copies, on the other hand,
> don't deprive the copyright holder of his property, because he can still
> claim ownership, and act as a master.
>
> That's why intellectual property is a State temporary privilege, it's not
> like
> the property of a 'real' thing. In the copy process the owner still has the
> use of the copied thing.
>
> Don't be fooled by the hype organized by IP holders. This is not the same
> league.

Ah, another pedant. I appreciate the fine clarification. Thanks.
Still, intellectual property is just as much personal property and valuable as
anything that is physically removed when it's stolen.
That the originator still has a working "copy" or original of the product
matters little in the overall scheme of things.
Copying and using without paying whatever fee is legally charged is the same
thing as thieving is. You don't get your due, your recompense. In effect, you
(they) take money out of the originator's pocket by copying without permission
or paying for the privilege.

Too much copying without permission will eventually lead, so think I, to the
inventors saying the hell with it. It's not worth it anymore...

Thanks for the dialog...

keith whaley