[OM] Child photography again

Subject: [OM] Child photography again
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:01:16 +1200
Hello all,

In thinking about the topic I raised yesterday, it makes me wonder how
Dianne Arbus and her classic studies of children in Central Park NY would
be viewed if taken today.

Does the PC attitude of officials running public amenities mean that the
photographic record of young children (and other people) in and around water
has become a forbidden topic, and if so, what should the photographic
community have to say about it.

As I hinted previously, if I were into people photography, I would be tempted
to hone my skills at photography by subterfuge.  Actually, I think that noted
photographers such as Ann Westra and Brian Brake did exactly this, to get
some of the classic images they did.  For example, an XA, or a Rollei 35, or
an Olympus "O" product, sitting casually on the knee, all ready to go when
the time is right.

Cheers, Brian