[OM] Re: for Walt Wayman

Subject: [OM] Re: for Walt Wayman
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:55:12 -0600
On 23/07/2006 7:58:06 AM, om4t@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[snip]

> Seen here
>
> http://www.thecamerastore.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=31123
>
> is an "EP" 50/f2 Olympus macro.
>
> Is the "EP" macro the same as the "DZ" macro? If not, do you know what
> the
> differences are? If they are the same, why the two sets of letters?

John:

The Camera Store's website isn't what I'd call the best product
catalogue available, though their staff are generally knowledgeable.
Walt's correct: "EP" is just a goof.  It should be "ED," which stands
for "Extra-low Dispersion."  Super-duper low-dispersion glass,
basically.  Other acronyms in the industry are "LD" and "SLD."

I've found B&H's website to be pretty spot-on for product info, and
often use their site just as a research source.  Easier than hunting
down every other manufacturer's website...

Garth