[OM] Re: Semi-OT- Any advice on cutting thin Lexan

Subject: [OM] Re: Semi-OT- Any advice on cutting thin Lexan
From: Tim Randles <tim.randles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:10:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Jay,

Cutting lexan or acrylic:

I use a skillsaw with a bazillion carbide teeth ( cant remember the no. /inch),
put the blade on backwards ( this is the most important part!!!) and very
carefully clamp everything down on plywood, use a 1x4 to set a line, set the
depth of cut to a 1/16th below the lens and very slowly start the saw into the
materials, and once I have the full blade into the acrylic or lexan, I let it
rip,  very carefully, with steady pressure.against the clamped 1"x4"

I regularly cut flourescent acrylics for t-bar fixtures this way, taking 2'x4'
lenses for 4 lamp fixtures  and making 1'x4' lenses for 2 lamp fixtures, I
cannot imagine the lexan would be much different, the flourescent lens is also
very brittle and has the diffusion rough surface that has a tendency to chip
and shatter, I think the lexan would probably be easier to cut than it, as long
as you have lots of  new carbide teeth on the blade. The blade has to be narrow
Kerf ( width of the teeth) ..

.Oh yea.. Did I tell you to put the blade on backwards?

. If the blade is not backwards, it will just shatter the entire piece....

I have told this to ppl before and they figured the forward blade will just do
it, and the apprentices just break the lenses..

Drilling:

I think you could  ( probably should, but I dont should on people) use a brand
new tungsten or titanium drill bit and some anchorlube or any common Dev-Tap
drilling lubricant, slow drilling speed ( you have a drill press?)

Cheers... Tim

Jay Drew <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Background:  I picked up a Dolan-Jenner fiberoptic light source to provide a
"heatless" light for macro work.  The light will need to be color corrected.
I've fabricated holders for the light pipes and my intent is to sandwich
correction filters (GAM from B&H) between thin (.093) sheets of Lexan to go in
front of the light pipes.  So before I start off on the wrong foot, any advice
on cutting?  Hobby shops are selling Lexan scissors, but they don't mention the
thickness they are good for.  Also, advice on drilling the stuff without
shattering it would be welcome.

Semi-OM content since I'll be shooting with OM gear.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Cheers.. Tim Randles - Sausage King