[OM] Re: E500 & Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: E500 & Flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:00:53 -0400
You may be surprised at how accurate the normal auto mode is and, for
the ultimate, use manual control.  Automode and chimping will beat TTL
100% of the time.  For direct flash, manual mode will also beat TTL 100%
of the time and without chimping.  But you may have to chimp on the
first manual shot since neither Oly nor anyone else give a "real" guide
number.  It's always optimistic and proven to my satisfaction by
measuring 4 separate T-32's with an accurate flash meter.  They all
matched each other to within 1/3 of a stop which made them all equal
liars.  If exposure is critical you should also wait about 15 seconds
for recycling after a full dump on a T-32.  The ready light is way more
optimistic than the guide number.  Wait 20-22 seconds if you want that
last 1/10 stop.

I think they used to get away with optimistic guide numbers and ready
lights by virtue of almost everyone's underexposed negs being corrected
in printing.  Digital isn't quite that forgiving although raw mode comes
close.

Chuck Norcutt