[OM] Re: E500 & Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: E500 & Flash
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:04:50 +0100
> Thanks Moose for the explanation.  B&H has a good price on the FL-36,
> but if I could get by using either the T20 or 32 without frying the
> circuitry of the E-500 it would be preferred.
>
> Martin

If you can get the FL-36 at a good prive I'd highly reccomend it. I bought one
a couple of weeks back and using it on my E-20 (very generous of olympus to
provide such backwards compatibility!), and using it has been a revelation
after years of an OM-4ti and T32/ T20/ T28. Yes they will work on a E-x, but
with even less control than on the OMs, which for me was never enough...
Fill-in too strong? Just dial it down, up to three stops. If thats not enough,
on-camera flash compensation acts in addition, giving up to five stops in
total. Or you can dial them in opposition and use the FL-36 bounced and the
on-camera flash for fill-in/ catchlight, or vice-versa. And with the E-system
cameras you get the super-fp, though the E-20's leaf shutter doesn't require
it. Also had some good results 'tunnelling' the flash - ie manually zooming the
flash head to less than the focal length.
Its been the one accessory I think i've ever bought that has significantly
added to the situations I can tackle confidently - I helped out a mate with
some shots for a modelling portfolio, and despite neither of us having done any
before we got some great results.
I haven't noticed a short recycle time, though I've been using with the E-20
whose buffer is the usual limiting factor. My only criticism is on the swivel
head - it swivels left through 180 and right through 90. That means if holding
the camera in normal portrait mode (ie right hand on grip held above lens) you
can't swivel to bounce over your shoulder to light a wall above and behind you.
You have to hold it grip under lens, and then shoot right-eyed - I'm normally
left-eyed. Its a pretty rare scenario though.
I paid £140 from my local dealer and (unusually ;-) feel it was well worth it.
Cheers,
Adam

-- Type: text/plain
-- Desc: "AVG certification"