[OM] Re: How to obtain archival-quality prints

Subject: [OM] Re: How to obtain archival-quality prints
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
> > I had a conversation with a well-respected photographer in
> > Christchurch city, and he told me that the B&W papers
> > available here now, mainly from Kodak, have a guaranteed
> > life of no more than 5 years. He said they have built-in
> > obsolescence. He added that to import archival papers would
> > cost a fortune.

Actually, I think the main issue is that Kodak *DID* drop their
commercial B&W paper lines. Everything now is based on the
standard color paper and is processed in the same type of
processing line. The lab I use for my color printing has settled
on Ilford RC for true B&W as a result.

Ilford RC, frankly, is as archival as anything out there today.
In my book, if they can withstand one year taped to the outside
south wall of my house getting direct sun, rain, snow and
polution from the nearby interstate with no measurable fading
and the resin has held up they should be able to withstand a few
decades in a folder.  Oh, and selenium toning made no
difference.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com