[OM] Re: [OT] Short translation?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Short translation?
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:07:31 -0500
You didn't Google, Chris, as Piers hinted.  If memory serves, the
"slough of despond" is from "Pilgrim's Progress."  (At least that's
what I assume Google would yield -- I didn't actually Google it
either.)  I recall reading somewhere that at one time if there were
but two books in a English-speaking family's home, one would be the
Bible and the other "Pilgrim's Progress."

I think Chuck is right that "despondency" would be the normal nounal
form now, which I am guessing makes you as despondent as it does me,
since you are also a lover of words.

Joel W.