[OM] Re: [OT] Printer recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Printer recommendation
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:56:10 -0700 (PDT)
> 1. Do you find any problem with nozzle clogging.

Only slightly more. I have more problem with cyan than anything.
I'm experimenting with a new tank to see if that addresses the
problem.  It's possible the seal isn't forming right on the
bottom where it drains to the head.  As soon as this tank
empties, I'm replacing it--although it might be the head
assembly.

> 2. Any recommendation on supplier for the MIS ink.  I googled
> and inksupply dot com

That's the place.

> recommended that all the inks be changed at the same time.
> You indicate a mix.

Well, I did run into a problem when mixed with other brands of
third-party inks.  Almost an oil-water kinda thing. The
MIS-Canon ink compatibility appears to be very high, though. I'd
actually recommend MIS bulk yellow over Canon yellow anyday.
Canon black does appear ever so slightly glossier. I do think I
like Canon black a little more, but not at 20x the price.  We're
talking nuance differences--hardly anything you'd be able to
identify just by looking at a print.  Some people like MIS black
better because the gloss seems to match the other colors. I do
think Canon Magenta gives a slightly more neutral print.

> 3. Recommendation on kits and instructions for doing refills?

Last year I bought the Refill Kit which included a set of 2-oz
bottles of every color and the syringes and stuff. They even
included a pair of latex gloves.  This year I finally got around
to buying a set of 4-oz bottles. Instructions are included, but
Neil Slade's website gives probably the most useful information.
(and that's scary).

I would recommend that you get a set of virgin cartridges. What
I have found is that once you drain a regular cartridge down it
tends to dry out and the wicking action is too slow. About
halfway through a second 13x19 print I'll lose a color if I'm on
an overused cartridge. The virgin cartridges hold up a little
better than OEM cartridges. Other third-party cartridges are
good for two drainouts and need to be replaced.

Refilling is a little challenging for the very first one. Spread
out a sheet of waxed paper and work on that.  (use your work
bench that can be washed right away). Keep a bunch of paper
towels handy and wear the gloves. Get yourself a box of plastic
food gloves from the Dollar Store.  Instead of the rubber plugs,
I use a hot glue gun instead. To each his own--I've experimented
with the rubber plugs and they do work ok, but if they leak,
you'll drain out the entire tank in a couple minutes.  With the
wax paper any spilled ink can be sucked right back up with the
syringe and reused.  Rinse the syringes out well afterwards.

The cost savings are so extreme that it's a no-brainer for me.
We print out so many brochures and posters and other handouts
that the OEM tanks would cost us a small fortune.

I've been working on the floorplan of our new "house" and the
biggest problem I'm dealing with is where to locate the
printers.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com