[OM] Re: Before responding to Larry

Subject: [OM] Re: Before responding to Larry
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:46:41 -0700
I have not followed this thread either, but the thing that never
seems to get mentioned in this type of discussion is predatory
pricing. People tend to use software they did not pay for when it is
priced for corporate use like MS Office or Adobe Creative Suite. If
ordinary pricing standards were followed you would have a choice
between Elements for $99 and PS for $199. You are right that it is
not worth its price. When people feel screwed over by pricing they
tend to justify taking matters into their own hands. It may be
morally reprehensible, but it could be argued that so is the official
pricing.

My unregistered old version of PS with a buy it now of $99 was
upgraded to CS for a fairly reasonable cost compared to the full
retail price.  So there are other ways to skin a cat.

Some photographers on the web who fear the theft of their
intellectual property put such small images on their sites that you
have no idea how good they are. That practice seems silly to me. They
hurt their sales because of poor display because they are so
determined to stop someone who might download one of THEIR images for
their desktop, about the only use that could be made of that kind of
image.  I yet to see one of these sites attempt to sell wallpaper
images. So they are not losing money either and may be losing the
exposure of their images to a potential customer. So many times the
arguments acquire the quality of a preteen screaming, "It's mine."

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA