[OM] Re: Lexar CF Media

Subject: [OM] Re: Lexar CF Media
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
> The 8G is $300 thus less than $40 per GB.
> I know many like to have more than one card...

I just got a 4GB Microdrive a couple of weeks ago.  The price
was quite decent.  It performs quite well in the Minolta, but in
the E-1 it's quite the slug.  Of course, I'm comparing to a 40x
card.

I wouldn't recommend the MD card when shooting bursts of RAW
images--that's for sure.  But for standard one by one images,
it's fine.  Will I get another MD card?  Highly doubtful.
Reliability issues with MD cards seem to be highly
exaggerated--there's a fear of "mechanical issues", but in
practice, few people have ever had a problem with them.
Probably more problems with standard CF cards!

I've been trying to stress-test the 4GB Microdrive. Pretty tough
to do in any timely manner.  It takes a while...  It will come
in handy, though, for doing video clips with the A1.

I learned to not worry about heat with the MD cards. The
operating temperature range takes it up to "cook fingerprints"
level. Even the camera manuals warn about the dangers of
removing hot cards from cameras.

Oh, and a sidenote.  Low-end Sandisk cards (found in Walmart,
etc), appear to have been upgraded with faster controllers. The
last one I bought is almost as fast as my 40X Lexar.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com