[OM] Re: [OT] Printer recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Printer recommendation
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:57:11 +0100
John Hermanson wrote:
> The C82 and C80 use the same line of inks, marked "Durabrite" .  I don't
> know if they're pigment or dye.

They're pigment inks. Not bad for printing on matt surfaces, but hopeless on
gloss paper. It's OK until you move the print around in the light and notice
that the printed area has a matt appearance while the paper is glossy...

 > It started with a clogged cyan head on
> the C82.  I ran the cleaning cycle so many times, ink dripped out of the
> bottom.  I was so fed up at that point I didn't mind carrying it down to
> the basement and letting it hit the floor.

I had one nasty clog on my C64 - the solution was to put a damp piece of
absorbent kitchen roll along the black foam pad the paper sits on, then run
the head back and forth over it. Turned out the clog was caused by a lump of
paper dust that had built up on the head...

I've got a Panasonic KX-P7110 laser printer for B&W stuff, and the Epson only
ever gets turned on when something needs printing in colour. I think it's on
its third set of cartridges now, and it's about two years old.

FWIW, the Epson works really nicely on thick paper / card - I printed off some
leaflets on "International Paper / Rey" 160gsm 'Text & Graphics' card, which
worked quite nicely.

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G