[OM] Re: OT - What I did while mom was in the hospital other than tensio

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - What I did while mom was in the hospital other than tension and boredom.
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:17:30 -0400
Bill Pearce wrote:

> Give me the choice, and I'll admit none of us like the options, I'll take
> Alzheimers. At least my mother was in a fantasy world for the last five or
> so years of her life. My father is, to put it bluntly, miserable. He handles
> things about as well as anyone, but every day, he is reminded about the
> miserable nature of the rest of his life.

Bill,

I'm not sure there is one choice that's better than the other.  As my
Dentist put it as he was explaining the surgery he would soon need,
"growing old isn't for the faint of heart."

My brother's wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers in her early 50's and at
age 55 she doesn't seem to be content being lost at times in a fantasy
world.  Just the opposite... when she gets disorientated she gets
aggravated and upset.  She fears having someone in the home other than
my brother caring for her and fears being institutionalized.  It seems
to be a stressful situation for all involved including the children.

Richard