[OM] Re: Thoughts on LightRoom, RAW process and work flow.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on LightRoom, RAW process and work flow.
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 03:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
Moose wrote:
>>I'm going to try out a couple of other apps., maybe LightZone next. But
at the moment, an upgrade to CSPS2 looks pretty attractive. The
stand-alone RAW converters cost nearly as much to more than a PS
upgrade.
<<

I went to a fun demonstration of Lightzone by the developers, who are a local
group, when it first
came out. I almost bought it after trying the 30 day demo. But ver 1.0 had some
rough edges and I
did not have enough time to spend with it then.

They now have two versions one that is a plugin for PS, so you only use some of
the unusual
features, for say effectively making very flexible easy to create masks which
you can keep
tweaking etc and then don't have to learn two sets of tools, where the PS
browser etc is used.
This sounds somewhat against the spirit of the package, which is to only store
the original
"negative" and then store the commands to modify it, in a tiny file. The idea
of infinite undo in
the saved command file, easy resequencing /enabling/disabling of commands
(layers) ,recropping and
saving various edits, is so appealing.
They don't actually use layers directly but effectively the stack of commands
and much of what you
do acts like layers.  For old darkroom buffs, the masks seem very familiar,
much more like
traditional dodging with a piece of cardboard!

I was thinking of trying it again, with the latest version's 30 day trial.

Tim Hughes