[OM] Re: Martyn's Olympus Odyssey pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: Martyn's Olympus Odyssey pictures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:59:53 -0700
Martyn Smoothy wrote:
> Thanks for the info & the reworked pics - I will go back to the negs & try
> scanning to RAW as you suggest.
> Often use RAW with my e-1 but have never bothered with scans.

I wasn't suggesting the RAW step as in any way contributing to quality
of results vs. scanning directly to 16-bit TIFFs. I only suggested it
could be useful as a workflow tool in two ways.

1. When learning to use VueScan to get particular results, one may
rescan from a RAW file while trying different settings much more quickly
and easily than from film. This is especially true with color film with
the dust removal option. RGB and IR channels are all read in one pass
through the RAW file, compared to two physical passes over the film.

2. When scanning strips of film 4-6 frames at a time, scanning to RAW
only from film as a first step significantly shortens the scanning time
when one must be around to handle the film. The second step of batch
scanning from the RAW files may then be done in background or when one
is doing something else. I'm sure the total time the computer spends on
scanning a roll is longer, but the time the operator spends on it is
shorter.

The bit about setting white and black points are probably the most
important ones for the dynamic range issues you are encountering. Also,
try setting Color balance to Neutral, even though it is B&W film.

Have fun and good luck with the results. I'm going to be doing some
color neg scanning in the next few days.

Moose