[OM] Re: [OT]Re: Before responding to Larry

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Re: Before responding to Larry
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:48:46 -0500
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 03:02:01 +0200, Manuel Viet wrote:

>Property gives a right to an owner to defend a
>possession, but only works if the possession is lawful.

Copyright laws exist. If you create copyrighted material, it is lawfully yours.

>> I disagree. Pirating Photoshop is a very clear violation of copyright law.

>Of course it is.

Then why do you keep arguing as if it weren't?

> But it does not equate to stealing.

It is exactly equivalent to stealing. You are taking something that the
rightful owner has specifically forbidden you to take.

>Saying so is just the
>sign that the political spinning was very effective on you.

Now you have ESP? You know for a fact that I didn't form my ideas through
independent study, experience, careful deliberation, or other processes?

> Equating copying
>to robbery leaves no room for fair use,

I didn't equate copying to robbery. I equated software piracy to stealing.

>You misunderstood me. I see some problems with piracy, and I strongly feel
>that it would be better to go for free software instead of violating
>copyrights.

Thats a fine idea, and you should absolutely pursue it with software you
publish yourself. However, that doesn't apply to software authors (or any other
kind of authors) who see the issue differently.

>But I have
>a feeling that you're no more enlighted as to what capitalism really is as
>you are in law science.

Ad hominem attacks?

>To function properly, capitalism postulates a free
>market, with unlimited offer and demand.

You and I had very different economics professors, Manuel. You might consider a
review of your notes when you get a chance.

> When it comes to personal software,
>the market has a huge demand, and very few offerers.

Anyone with a computer has the tools necessary to write software.

> Hence, the laws of
>economics that describe true capitalism are broken, and the situation is much
>more akin to a monopoly market.

You've certainly got a unique take on how capitolism works and the definition
of a monopoly.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company