[OM] Re: What's up with the OM list? It's gone strange and insular.

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up with the OM list? It's gone strange and insular.
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 22:16:42 -0600
Wow. You must lead a sheltered life. Friends of mine have been raped,
robbed, and assaulted in many so-called civilized countries and, in most
cases, the police were of no help. It seems that this might be what
"pacified public space" really means. Many state institutions do monopolize
violence when "they" deem necessary. Of course, we all know that the most
efficient form of government is a benevolent dictatorship. Unfortunately
most are not benevolent. I'm preparing to go to Peru and Bolivia in the
spring and the list of warnings about dangerous criminal assault potential
is quite long. As always, you are entitled to your opinion. If you lived
where grizzly bears or wolves might jump your bones, you might carry a
weapon too. /jmac