[OM] Re: What's up with the OM list? It's gone strange and insular.

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up with the OM list? It's gone strange and insular.
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:19:00 +0200
Ok, guys, can we STOP this. NOW!

As someone who's personally had a gun held to his head in LONDON, UK
by criminals (and who managed to wrestle himself away without
actually getting shot or robbed - but it was close), I can assure you
that I have very definite opinions on who should or should not have
access to firearms and how widespread such access should be.

Let's just say that it took "a while" to build up the courage to go
out the door again subsequent to that incident, and that the
experience even now, years later, has left some traces with me.

And let's just say that I feel very strongly that this subject has NO
place on the Olympus list whatsoever.

--thomas

On Aug 4, 2006, at 6:16 AM, James N. McBride wrote:

> Wow. You must lead a sheltered life. Friends of mine have been raped,
> robbed, and assaulted in many so-called civilized countries and, in
> most
> cases, the police were of no help. It seems that this might be what
> "pacified public space" really means. Many state institutions do
> monopolize
> violence when "they" deem necessary. Of course, we all know that
> the most
> efficient form of government is a benevolent dictatorship.
> Unfortunately
> most are not benevolent. I'm preparing to go to Peru and Bolivia in
> the
> spring and the list of warnings about dangerous criminal assault
> potential
> is quite long. As always, you are entitled to your opinion. If you
> lived
> where grizzly bears or wolves might jump your bones, you might carry a
> weapon too. /jmac

Thomas Clausen
Thomas.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/Labo/Thomas.Clausen/