[OM] Re: Proper use of a handheld incident meter in the digital world

Subject: [OM] Re: Proper use of a handheld incident meter in the digital world
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 19:55:36 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck wrote:
> Yes, I use my Sekonic L-358 incident/flash meter almost all
> the time. I'm not sure I even remember how to use the
> camera's meter these days or that I'd trust it if I did.

I'm kinda heading there myself. Not that the camera meters are
"bad", but I've spent the past two years parking my brains and
am needing to refocus myself on the basics.

> You do have to be aware of the sensor's actual
> sensitivity rating when using an external meter.  The Canons
> are ISO 125 at indicated ISO 100.  Not much of an error.  But
> I'm sure you're aware of the 2/3 stop error in the Minolta
> A1.

When I compensate for that 2/3 stop error, (Indicated ISO 100 is
actually ISO 160), my midtones land exactly where they are
supposed to be. There are people who claim that the E-1 is "off"
too, but the past year of shooting flash AND my calibration
effort this week have shown me that my midtones are right on at
indicated ISO.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com