[OM] Re: What's up with the OM list?... -> Escape from L.A.

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up with the OM list?... -> Escape from L.A.
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 23:27:36 -0700
I've been doing my best not to get involved in this thread. However, as an
active outdoor sportsman, I simply can't restrain myself from reponding to
such slander directed toward gun owners.

> There is an easy solution, Chuck: enrich your imagination.

Firstly, this is not a discussion of imagination, but of facts and opinions.

> If still you believe that the degree of our civilisation has not been
> increased in relationship with our historically recent accomplisment
> of the pacification of the public space in our societies, then let me
> to inform you that.
>
> Two centuries ago, for example, people everyday were going out in the
> street knowing that this might be their last day. The benefits of
> social and personal development by the recent social change away from
> that past are easy to understand.

Being the anti-social type myself, I tend to disagree with your assertion
that society is much, if any, better off today than it was two centries ago.

> Now, if you believe that many people, and certainly me, would tolerate
> without any criticism the careless and casual, this ultimately
> arrogant talk about gun using, as it has been going on here by a group
> of people who simply do not know or understand better the seriousness
> and predicament of their situation; associated with social pathology,
> destruction, violence and loss of life, (even if sadly they do have to
> carry guns), but rather seem to enjoy and be proud like it was an
> achievement and what a fun for the family that is(!), then you are
> wrong again.

You're absolutely right Christo, that does't come off as arrogant at all.
Your intolerance of another persons culture is truly astounding to me. I
understand that you may not agree with it, which is your right. However,
that doesn't give you a liscence to degrade others.

> My idea of civilised society is a future which will stay  away from
> John Carpenter's well imagined and certainly not incoceivable 'Escape
> from L.A.'...

Sounds like your imagination has been working overtime.  However, if one
were to concede to this possibility, wouldn't an armed public be a great
deterant to those who would bring about such a senario? Some would argue
that this is the very purpose of the second amendment to the U.S.
Constitution, giving the public the means by which to overthrow a tyranical
government, by force if need be!

> Oh yes, and for someone who wrongly assumed about me: No, my life is
> not well protected and yes, I have encountered armed violence in many
> occasions. But that does not mean I'll jump to any easy conclusions or
> take the subject lightly... So Chuck, you missed the focus, the
> arrogance does not come from my side.

Finally, your views on the subject are yours to do with as you please, but
please don't try shoving them sown the throat of others.

> very friendly,
> Christos

Sincerely,
Darin