[OM] Re: Unexpected photo opportunity - bugs

Subject: [OM] Re: Unexpected photo opportunity - bugs
From: Tim Randles <tim.randles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:39:20 -0700 (PDT)
if I am understanding this right, if I use my 45-150 evolt kit lens, and a
100mm tube, I could photograph the fractal -like patterns on flower petals?
microscopic kind of photography?

Another thing I was interested in understanding is taking pictures through a
telescope, was thinking of Saturns rings.. photographing Mars would give me a
bit of a rush...

 apparantly with the right telescope and an adaptor of sorts, I could do that..
but for now, I'll just stick to making pictures of landscapes and trying to get
the hang of all this photo gobble-de-gouk, I'll have to spend more time with my
good wife's cats I guess.. they dont like the camera much..

Cheers.. Tim

priit@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Tim Randles wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about the extension tube thing, I sorta understand
> the extension tube changes the focal length, so how does that allow you
> to take close up images like this with a 50MM..

It does not really change the focal length - just the close focusing
distance. The closer you can get to an object, the more magnification -
nothing mysterious about it. With a 50mm and the 25mm tube the working
distance can become quite small. Actually sometimes too small to be
convinient, but at least you can get your macro shot.

Note that Martyn mentioned he used a 50/3.5. It is a macro lens and
therefore capable of quite high magnification even when mounted directly
on a camera (especially on a digital body because of the small sensor).

priit.