[OM] Re: monopod ?

Subject: [OM] Re: monopod ?
From: DACattani@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 00:21:56 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/2006 9:55:49 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
russ@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I'd like  to get a monopod and would appreciate brand &/or model
recommendations.

Russ,

I have 2 monopod systems:

1) REI Hiker Shocklight Hiking Staff: (10.0 oz.) with a Novoflex Ball 19
(3.25 oz.) attached to the 1/4" thread on the staff (the little ball on the top

screws off). This goes backpacking with me.

2) Canon Monopod 100 (15.8 oz.). This goes on shorter, easier, day  hikes.

The Canon monopod can't really be used as an effective hiking staff.  But it
seems to hold a big body with a Zuiko 300mm f4.5.

I've used the REI most recently on a little climb up Mt. Elbert here  in
Colorado. The Novoflex Ball 19 works well with an OM and a short  telephoto.
With
a C*n*n 20D, it's acceptable with a mid range zoom. I wouldn't  put a long
telephoto on it though.

Dave in Denver