[OM] Re: As promised: Bug picture (Parys Mantis) (aka tzahwayeck)

Subject: [OM] Re: As promised: Bug picture (Parys Mantis) (aka tzahwayeck)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:12:04 +0000
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
>     Walt, I'm jealous--Minnesota is too far north to support wild
> populations of praying mantids (but we do have snow fleas--and you
> don't).  That is a fine shot.  Wish I had some around to photograph,
> too.  Earwigs (aghh) have moved north into the state recently (ditto for
> opposums since about 1965), but still no praying mantids.  Come on,
> global warming--bring us some praying mantids.  (Hope that doesn't start
> a thread.)

Saw in this morning's paper that a manatee is swimming in the Hudson River.
That's probably a sign of something. Or maybe he (or she) is just a reverse
tourist.

--snip--
>     Great shot!  You would have made a fine entomologist, Walt.

Thanks, but I'd probably have to learn the proper names, though. For some
stupid reason, I always thought they were "preying" mantises, or mantids,
because they -- well, because they preyed on other bugs. It never occurred to
me that the correct word was "praying" because of their posture. True ignorance
is being too ignorant to know you're ignorant. :-[

And I found this a while ago, which will cause me to treat this big bug with
more respect and not go poking at it in order to get a better shot:

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyardbirds/hummingbirds/mantis-hummer.aspx

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from