[OM] Re: Getting the E-3 bug

Subject: [OM] Re: Getting the E-3 bug
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:44:45 -0400
Having used but never owned a 300/2.8, I simply don't get the appeal
unless one uses teleconverters.  In fact, a lot of used Tamrons seem
to include the 'matched' 1.4x converter.

Of course those who photograph wildlife (which includes sports) need
and use all the speed they can get.  The wildest thing I photograph
are wedding receptions.  ;o)

Why I don't 'get' the need for 2.8:

1.  I can't reliably hand-hold anything longer than ~200mm so it would
be on a tripod anyway.

2.  The much discussed blurring of background allowed by a max 2.8
seems exaggerated.  At 2.8, total DOF at 15 feet (on an E-1) is .06
feet.  At 4.0, it's .09 feet.  That's a whopping .03 of a foot.
Circle of confusion = 0.015 mm.

3.  300/4.0 lenses are significantly smaller and easier to carry.

4.  300/4.0 lenses cost less.

5.  If memory serves, 4.0 lenses typically focus much closer.

And yes, 2.8 is a bit easier to focus, but using a 300mm with a decent
screen snaps in and out of focus pretty clearly.

FWIW/ScottGee1