[OM] Re: My first attempt at Motorsport photography with an E-300

Subject: [OM] Re: My first attempt at Motorsport photography with an E-300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:01:43 -0700
Ian Nichols wrote:
> Went to a motorcycle trackday.....
>
> Better results than I expected: my panning has improved, and my timing
> on the pre-focused shots wasn't too bad.  The E-300s continuous AF
> lags a bit behind the action (I used it in most of the early
> head-on/oblique angle shots) so next time I'll try using the
> auto-focus point on the side of the screen centre that the subject is
> moving towards, if you see what I mean.

I can't comment constructively on your shots, for the simple reason that
motorsports shots in general, no matter how good, bore me and my
attention goes elsewhere.

Stephen Scharf, who was on this list until his move into pro motorsports
photography coincided with a move to the dark side, equipment wise, said
he prefocused in manual on the spot where he wanted to take the shot,
then waited for the vehicles to appear in that spot. And this was with
cameras that AF much faster than the E-300. Sort of "Set up the shot,
and they will come*." I believe I've read this from other pros, too. I
don't know if it applies to panning.

Certainly the results in very large prints were technically spectacular,
even if the subjects were of no interest to me.

Moose