[OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:04:09 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:
> I won't buy a digital slr without some sort of stabilization.

begin broken record............

IS does not help with subject motion. Low noise at high iso does the
same thing as IS for camera motion while also reducing blurring from
subject motion.

end record.......

New example, since we are talking Panasonic; quotes from dpreview
conclusions pages:
Panasonic DMS-TZ1
* Conclusion - Cons*
  - Noise - and heavy noise reduction - make ISO 200+ usable only for
small prints
 - Noise visible in shadow areas even at ISO 80

To be fair, the output at lower ISO settings, combined with the 3 stop
or so advantage you get from the OIS system makes the TZ1 a perfectly
usable tool (not that this will help with moving subjects of course)
Fujifilm F30
** Conclusion - Pros**
 - Class-leading high ISO performance; superb results up to ISO 400
 - Surprisingly good ISO 800 performance

Our tests show that the F30's sensor gives you at least a two-stop
advantage over the best that conventional CCD technology can offer, and
in many cases a three-stop advantage,

begin broken record............

I know lots of folks carry over their preference for low film/sensor
speeds to digital., With film, there was a reason, with digital there is
not, unless your camera is no less noisy than film is grainy. This shot
is simply not possible with low iso and IS, mega or not. The bodies of
the subjects are pulsing and they are all moving through the water - and
it is really dim. And the noise at iso 3200? Well, judge for yourself.
Seems to me about on a par with iso 200-400 color neg film
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/5D/Jellyfish/_MG_0194.htm>.

end record.......

Moose