[OM] (OT) EOS adapter with focus conformation chip

Subject: [OM] (OT) EOS adapter with focus conformation chip
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:53:47 -0400
Hi EOS owners,

A few weeks ago we briefly discussed a new adapter being auctioned on
eBay that included a chip that allows the focus conformation
indicators to work in the Canon bodies when manually focusing 3rd
party lenses.  At that time adapters were available for Contax to EOS
and M42 to EOS.  Since then the seller has also started offering
Zuiko to EOS adapters with the chip.

I ordered one of the Contax/EOS adapters and it arrived today.  It
came from Hong Kong, was well packaged and the fit and finish is very
good.  The camera sees the lens as being f2.0 so the high precision
sensors should be being used.  I gave it a focus test with a Contax
50/1.4 lens and a target distance of ~three feet.  Starting at close
focus when the conformation light indicates focus the lens is
actually front focusing by about 1 1/2".  In contrast, starting at
far focus results in a front focusing error of 3/4".  In both cases
the target was out of the depth of field.

Even if the adapter did allow accurate manual focusing there's
another problem that would be a deal killer for me.  The focus
conformation lights light up in Tv, Av, and M modes but don't work in
the C mode.  That's not acceptable to me since I use C mode when I'm
shooting from a tripod.

I've read a few reports from people that were happy with their
adapter but more reports from folks that were experiencing problems
like mine.  So, if you decide to order one of these be aware that it
may not work as well as you hoped.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson