[OM] Re: E-1 craving

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 craving
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:17:02 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Now that is really interesting.  I'm going on almost 18 months
> with my E-1 and I have yet to get that feeling.
I was replying to someone who already has an E-500.

> It's more than specifications. It's more than the quirks and
> shortcomings.  It's a package thing and a usage philosophy which
> you either get or you don't.  I don't "get" Canon. Most people
> don't "get" Olympus.

I "get" OM, I "get" XA. Maybe I would "get" E if it's technical
performance met my needs. I don't "get" the 300D and 5D in the sense
that I "got" OMs. It's more like we work together than we have a real
relationship. Nonetheless, we get the job done, and rather easily, and
that pleases me no end.

Over the work years, I often got the job done with someone I didn't
particularly like, but with whom I could work effectively. I sure came
to respect many people I wouldn't ever be real friends with. I've also
had to work with people I liked, but who didn't have the skills for the
job. Fortunately, I was mostly successful at avoiding that. Nothing
worse for a friendship - or for the job. I even had to fire a fellow I
quite liked. I didn't want to, but he just couldn't do the job and it
was starting to affect everyone else, both emotionally and in their work

So for now, I'll work with a partner who can do the job and with whom I
can live reasonably comfortably. I'm actually starting to remember where
many of the buttons and menu items are are and what they do. :-)
fortunately, most of them aren't needed much. Program or A mode,
remember how to work the iso (easy) and be there.
> With the E-1, it's unique, it's blindingly slow, it's a real cow
> when compared to Canon's latest greatest.  But it's a camera
> that never ceases to bring a smile to my face every time I take
> it out of the bag.  I might have to work a little harder to get
> some shots, but I'm still getting the shots.

Oh, I missed that combo above, me and the semi-incompetent friend who
can get the job done if I take most of the load. Bless you and your buddy.

Moose