[OM] Re: E-1 craving

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 craving
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:52:15 -0500
On 8/9/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ALI wrote:
> > I have this craving. The gatekeeper (my wife) has almost given me a
> > green light.
> >
> > E-1 refurb from Oly America via Yabe or E-1 new from Cameta via Amazon?
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> What do you think? Have you honestly asked yourself the question "What
> will the E-1 give me that I don't already have?"

Better viewfinder than E-500, worse LCD.  5MP but pretty darn good
delivery pixel for pixel.

The tiny LCD on the E-1 and its limited 4x enlargement capability is
really and truly the worst thing about it to me.  I think the E-330 is
a big and substantive advance.  Once you develop the ability to
anticipate how the camera will react, the small LCD is not such an
important factor.  But you already know this from the E-500 anyway.
It's really the 4x enlargement limitation that is tough because you
can't always use the LCD to determine whether you got the critical
sharpness you need.

I am excited at the prospect of an E-2 that will have a lot of the
features of the E-330 and a bigger MP payload, but I am really not in
a rush to abandon the E-1.  If I do my part, it just never lets me
down.

Joel W.