[OM] OM viewscreens [was E-1 craving]

Subject: [OM] OM viewscreens [was E-1 craving]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:22:54 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:
> Also viewfinder brightness is not the only aspect to consider in relation to
> ease of focussing.  For example I find that when there is adequate light an
> OM 1-4 screen "snaps" into focus better than a 2-4 which I believe has to do
> with the "graininess" of the screen.

The 1-4 actually is unusual in having two different
graininess/roughnesses in the matte finish, with the part inside the
circle being finer than outside:

"For easy focusing the matte surface is ground rough. The subject is in
focus when the image is sharp."
"The large central circle is slightly finer matted, which can be helpful
with macro photography and in low light conditions."

The 2-4 is all the same. It makes sense, as the circle on the 1-4 "also
can be used to roughly indicate the center-weighted metering area of the
OM-1(n) and OM-2(n).", which is relatively large, while the 1-4n and 2-4
"corresponds to the 2% spot metering area of the OM-2Sp, OM-3(Ti) and
OM-4(Ti)." and is too small for a different matte finish to be practical
or useful.

Omigawd, I just made a totally on topic OM post about an arcane topic. :-)

Moose