[OM] Re: E-1 craving

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 craving
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:16:40 +0000
Well, not the best analogy I've ever come up with.  The bottom line is, equal
f/stops, no matter the format, come out the same in the end. If that were not
so, then a scene you might shoot with a 35mm camera at 125th sec. at f/8, I
would have to shoot at some different exposure with the RB-67. That's not how
it works. The 50mm f/3.5 Zuiko wide open admits light through a hole about 14mm
in diameter, while the 127mm f/3.8 Sekor is pouring light through a hole a
little over 34mm in diameter, which is probably admitting three or four times
as much light as the Zuiko. (I'll leave it to somebody smarter tham me to do
the pie are square calculations.) But, and this is what I was trying to explain
before, the light coming through the bigger hole has to light up a
proportionately bigger viewfinder AND, subsequently, expose a similarly larger
piece of film.  So, it's all the same in the end, 'cause f-stops is f-stops,
for all practical purposes.

I need more coffee to explain this any more better. :-[

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --