[OM] Re: E-1 craving

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 craving
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:15:11 -0500
>> If the E-3 doesn't materialize, I'll give the L1 serious
>> consideration.
> Now there's a camera I don't "get". Take away most of the features of
> the E-330 that make it special and desirable, change the styling to look
> like there might be a red spot there somewhere, raise the price, and
> you've got what?
Here's where I disagree with just about everyone else on this list.

First, the L1, although  designed to look more leica-like, is quite a bit
different than the Oly product. It appears from the photos that it will have
significantly different  ergonomics. To me, it seems to be more camera-like,
where most digital cameras seem to be the bastard cousins of blackberrys or
game boys or something else electronic. For that, I give Panasonic a round
of applause.

Second, I simply don't get the E330. (I have not fondled one, just seen it
in a showcase, but I have handled the E300, which simply didn't fit my hand
or anything else. The whole live preview business just seems like a solution
for a problem I can't begin to anticipate. Although I do like the movable
screen, there's little else to attract me.

My big problem with the L1 is that it is a lot of money for a 7.5mp camera.

Also, I don't care about the Leica name on the lens. Although I can't
imagine that anyone thinks the Zeiss Japanese-produced lenses are in any way
a problem, and that several Leica lenses for the R and CL were produced in
Japan, I'm most interested in what I think is an ideal range of basic focal
lengths and speed [not f4!!!!] in what will probably a quite good lens, as
is the Zeiss lens on the Sony R1.

Of course, it is easy to speak in any way about something that is sitll in
the birthing process.

Bill Pearce