[OM] Re: E-1 craving

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 craving
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:34:00 -0400
This raises an interesting point.

Hasselblad took a lot of heat over the years because their cameras
were tough to focus, particularly (and naturally) in low light.

Their response after many years of complaints?  Acute-matte focusing
screens.  Even when installed in older camera they improved VF
brightness and made focusing and composition easier.

What probably prompted them to act was the stark contrast between
their VFs and those of the Rollei 600x series which were very clear,
bright and easy to focus.  IMO, even with an Acute-matte the Rolleis
were still superior to the 'blads.

BTW, Chuck, in your original post you said "it's hard to find a normal
6x6 lens (90mm) that's faster than f/4"; was that a typo?  Did you
mean f/2.8?  Hasselblad offered 80 and 100mm Planars with f/2.8 and
f3.5 max apertures and Rollei offered f/2.8 normal lenses for all of
their SLRs.  Or did I misunderstand your point?

FWIW/ScottGee1