[OM] Re: E-1 craving

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 craving
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:53:30 -0600
> i sort of agree with you on that. The only pressing reason for a
> preview is if you have a crappy viewfinder like those on P&S
> digicams. I have a Coolpix with a swiveling LCD, but actually it is
> pretty useless most of the time unless you do self portraits or go to
> parades and stand in the back.  But I probably lack imagination.

  Actually, I think cameras with live preview are great for a number of
reasons, all of which are to do with taking photos with the camera not
next to my eye.

  The split-body coolpixes are the best example of this I can think of;
I found myself taking a lot more waist-level shots that way simply
because it wound up being more natural, and for things like panoramas
[1] it's a lot easier to rotate the camera around the nodal point if I'm
looking down on it from above than if I'm trying to rotate my entire
body and remember where the the lens was. (yes, I should use a panoramic
head, but with a fisheye lens I only need to take two or three shots and
I can keep things consistent enough there)

  Macro, of course, it can be a huge win when trying to get the camera
positioned looking at just the right bit of a flower or suchlike, and
I've found myself taking overhead shots when documenting the creation of
our patio [2].

  Self-portraits are sort of okay, but it's difficult to concentrate on
what's going on properly so I tend to have a peculiarly distracted
facial expression when doing this.

  That's a fairly small screen -- the Canon P&S I have has a big bright
3" screen, which is _really_ nice to look at, and is big enough that I
can take shots with the screen not directly lined up with me, because
the image on there is so large I can still compose (mostly) with it at
an angle.

  -- dan

[1] http://www.danielmitchell.net/pages/panoramas/panoramas.html

[2] http://www.danielmitchell.net/sgal/index.php?gallery=./Making/Patio