[OM] Re: Ex-lurker

Subject: [OM] Re: Ex-lurker
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:02:00 -0500
On 8/11/06, Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I did "calibrate" my monitor's settings according to a book I have on
> Photoshop Elements...and they look ok to me usually. But, have to admit that
> I adjust levels more often than I'd like. My problem now is this: Someone is
> looking at my images and they look dark to them. It could be their monitor
> settings, I suppose, but this is someone who looks at a ton of images from
> different people. And when this was mentioned I really got to looking, and I
> do think I may have trouble getting the correct exposure. Color me confused.
> :-)
>
> Candace <<--the Ex-Lurker

Hi Candace,

Nice having you out in the open.  This is a very female-starved group.
 Picture one of those old westerns where the stagecoach door opens and
a lady from back east steps out in front of a saloon full of scruffy,
inebriated cowboys...  You'll watch yourself, I hope.

The thing with the Huey or Monaco or Colorvision devices is that for
accurate color work, the monitor really needs to be calibrated to some
kind of objective standard. These devices do that for you and save a
file in your PC or Mac which then governs the color balance,
brightness, and contrast of your monitor.  The monitor is simply one
half of the managed-color equation.

The other half is your printer.  If you've got some profiles for your
printer and the paper and ink combination you use, then you sort of
have your printer color-managed (assuming you've got the printer
configured to use the profiles, that is).  If you don't have profiles,
you can get software to make them yourself, or you have to do sort of
the equivalent by trial and error, using your printer's sliders.
Anyway, with the monitor calibrated, you can begin the process of
getting a better correspondence between what's on the monitor and what
comes out of the printer.  But there's no direct connection between
the two, so it might not be absolutely a perfect match, even if both
the monitor and the printer are calibrated and profiled.  They're very
different kinds of output.  But the monitor calibration and use of
printer profiles really help you do better with your prints.

This is a very simplified description.  My job is not to get too
complicated because I get hurt very easily when I do.  Most
photographers are engineers and vice versa.  It's a rule or else
destiny.  They're a nice lot and good with details.  I'm not one of
them, but I like photographs and I'm trying to get smart enough to
move up to a Canaan someday like all good Olympus users.  For now the
E-1 suits me.  It's got a tiny little engine, but it's reliable and
gets good mileage.  You have a good husband if he has put you on to an
E-330.  I have a spouse like that myself,  except that in my case he's
a woman, and I don't have an E-330 yet.

Anyway, we all mess around with levels.  There are lots of tricks to
improving digital capture.  You'll find plenty of support here.  Post
a couple shots and people will be happy to make suggestions if you
want them.

Best wishes,
Joel W.