[OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:48:50 -0400
I decided to do some poking around to see what officaldom says about
this.  Air Canada hasn't updated their luggage security procedures for a
month so they are useless.  British Airways says:
With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all
passengers starting their journey at a UK or United States of America
airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the
hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Note:
Passengers are advised that ALL electrical or battery powered items
including laptops, mobile phones, portable music players, remote
controls etc cannot be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as
hold baggage.

TSA, however, says explicitly that electronic devices are not banned
from the cabin.  Obviously they haven't spoken to BA about UK flights.
<http://tsa-7.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tsa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=254&p_created=1155227254&p_sid=7oJXQUei&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1>

Anyway, there's nothing here about banning cabin baggage on flights
other than between the US and the UK.  Just don't stop in New York on
the way to Gatwick.

Chuck Norcutt