[OM] Re: Photography books, was Re: Candace

Subject: [OM] Re: Photography books, was Re: Candace
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:41:23 -0400
Go to <http://www.amazon.com>, select "books" and search for photography
books with keywords "portraits", "lighting" and "Amherst".  I've
included "Amherst" to pick up on books by Amherst Media which publishes
only books on photography and generally does a very nice job.  Amherst
Media is in Buffalo not far from Ali who, I think, lives in East Amherst.

Amherst Media has also been in business a long, long time which means
they were publishing way back in the dark ages when there was no such
thing as digital or at least no digital anyone could afford.

The significance of that point is that when you search on Amazon you'll
also pick up listings from used book sellers.  A used version of an
Amherst book will go for $10-18 and those really old ones that don't say
digital in the title might go for as low as $3-4.  Shipped at the USPS
book rate you can find some real deals.  Searching as I just specified
showed me a handful of relevant books for under $10 each.

Of course, since these may be old, film based books you'll have to apply
corrective measures to the instructions there.  For example, if advised
to set the main light at 45 degrees above the subject you'll have to
mentally translate and say; Oh, heck.  This is digital.  Guess I'd
better use 45 degrees above the subject.  Now that you know how to
translate portrait lighting into digital terms you can use all of those
old books and save a lot of money.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt