[OM] Re: True confessions of a Moose

Subject: [OM] Re: True confessions of a Moose
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 20:49:41 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> My main criticism isn't the color.  I wasn't there and have never been
> to Yosemite let alone this particular spot.  It looks unreal to me
> because the sky is too dark.  Regardless of the sun angle or the
> altitude of the rocks vs the foreground the sky can't be less bright
> than what it's illuminating.  The sky is that big diffuser thingy up
> above and the source of the light.  Gotta be brigher there.
As a matter of theory, I have to disagree with you. To go far afield,
the sunlit surface of the Moon is brightly lit, so bright that it still
seems bright as reflected light over 360,000km away, and yet, the sky is
black. The illumination here also comes entirely from the sun. Certainly
quite a bit of it is bounced around by the atmosphere, the amount
depending on how much of it is above and how much below the subject. The
higher you go, the darker the sky. No, 6,000 feet doesn't have much
effect, at least to our eyes, but look at the variation in sky
brightness in your panorama at sea level. Perhaps it doesn' take much to
be apparent in a photo.

Consider a lone tree in a desert in the middle of the day. The tree's
shadow is very dark compared to the surrounding ground. If the sky as a
whole were anywhere near as strong a light source as the sun, the shadow
would be washed out by that light coming from all other directions.

I'm not disagreeing with your contention that the sky in my shot is too
dark, only with your stated reason for saying so.

How about if I pretend that I used a polarizer? :-)

Moose